by James Smith
"The Believer’s Companion in Seasons of Affliction and Trouble" 1842
"Call upon Me in the day of trouble! I will deliver you–and you shall glorify Me!" Psalm 50:15
Believer, in this portion of the divine Word, you will discover:
1. your present portion–trouble,
2. your constant privilege–prayer,
3. your future prospect–deliverance.
1. Your present portion is TROUBLE.
2. Your constant privilege is PRAYER–to visit the throne of grace, and wait upon our God. He says, "Call upon Me in the day of trouble!" Troubles . . . furnish us with messages to our Father’s throne, quicken us in our supplications, and oblige us to entreat His favor!
His throne of grace is always accessible, and His ear is always open; but in times of trouble, He especially invites us to draw near. He says: Call upon Me in trouble, call for whatever you need!
Are you perplexed–then call for wisdom; are you weak–then call for strength; are you guilty–then call for pardon; are you miserable–then call for comfort; are you in darkness–then call for light; are you in bondage–then call for freedom and relief.
Call upon Me, for I am always on the throne of grace!
Call upon Me, for I am glad to see you!
Call upon Me, for I am ready to help you!
Call upon Me, for I wait to be gracious unto you!
Call upon Me–upon Me first, before you run to others!
Call upon Me–and you will have no occasion to go anywhere else, for I have all that you can possibly need.
Call upon Me freely–without reserve.
Call upon Me boldly–without fear.
Call upon Me importunately–without doubt!
The promise encourages us, the invitation allures us–but trouble impels us to call upon our God!
Our troubles are frequently the instruments the Holy Spirit employs to carry on His sacred work in our hearts. By troubles, He . . . empties us of self, weans us from the world, and endears Jesus and His salvation to us!
Oh, believer, make use of your privilege in every time of trouble–and fully expect what Your God has promised!
3. Your future prospect is DELIVERANCE. (coming soon)
Read Part 1 Troubles, Troubles, Troubles! Part 1
by James Smith